Thursday, December 2, 2010

Still working on the hall...

I wanted to give a bit of an update on the work  - or non-work - that I've done on the hall.  This "room" is plaguing me.

Stumbling blocks:

1. After the little jog to the side, the hallway extends about 18 feet.  That means, even the longest runners I've found on Overstock.com are still sorely shy of the length I need.  Along with this dilema, I can't seem to find pictures on the internet of actual hallways (not staircases or open foyers) that have runners, so it's hard to imagine what this hall would look like with a too-short runner.

This is the runner I've been eyeing, mostly because it's inexpensive (so not a big commitment), natural, neutral in color (except the rust - but we've got tons of rusts/reds/oranges in the living room and kitchen), and 12 feet long (longest I've found).

Overstock.com
2. The walls are not "flush" or flat, so my ideas about hanging a picture rail are out.  I might be able to do it, but the work involved, possible destruction of the wall, and maybe ugly result are turning me off.

3. The walls have that "sandy" treatment going on.  This doesn't really qualify as a stumbling block, but it's so weird.  I don't know where this "wall treatment" came from, but it will never go away.  And, it makes the walls sharp, which can't be good Feng Shui.

Progress:

1. The new hall table.  I love this thing.

2. New "boob" lights.  I don't love them, but they are better than the old ones.

3. Art.  I've got lots to hang, but I need to mix a few non-engagement, non-wedding pictures in with the bunch. I don't want the entire apartment to be photos of us, even though the pictures are amazing. I'm planning this weekend to create an art wall on one or both sides of the hallway.

4. I'm still working on the DIY pendant light idea.  World Market has a large drum lampshade for $30, and I've been looking at ways to cover it with fabric to make it a bit more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment