Thursday, December 23, 2010

Simple, easy meal: The Omelet

As Christmas approaches, and I've been getting ready to leave for a week, I've been attempting to eat up some of the fresh food in the fridge.  I hadn't really planned anything for dinner tonight, since I am here by myself (Joe headed to Grand Rapids on Monday, so I've been solo all week), and I had considered jumping in the car after work and making the drive tonight to G-Rap.  Since I decided not to make the drive tonight (I'll be waking up suuuuper early tomorrow, dodging Chicago traffic, and arriving around the time we would have been waking up if I had made the drive tonight), I threw together a little something that makes a great breakfast or dinner: the Omelet!

This can be made using a variety of fillings/toppings (what's the correct term?).  Use what you have!

Tonight's version...Cilantro Potato Omelet

Drizzle vegetable oil
1 smallish potato, chopped small
1 tbsp cilantro, plus some extra
2 scallions, sliced (white and light green parts only)
2-3 eggs
glug half and half or milk (half and half was yummy, and needed to be used up!)
Salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a medium, non-stick skillet.  Cook the potatoes until tender.

Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, cilantro, scallions, and milk/half and half.

Remove potatoes from skillet. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and leave in a thin layer.  As needed, push the edges around so that the uncooked egg runs to the sides.  When the eggs are mostly set, add the potatoes and extra cilantro, as well as salt and pepper, to one half of the omelet.  Fold the other side over. Leave it for a sec.

I added the end of a jar of salsa.  Deee-lish!

No comments:

Post a Comment