Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Kitchen is all unpacked!

I know I have been posting lots of ideas and inspiring photos of kitchens, and now, I am ready to show my own kitchen.  Now, it's not totally done, but it is painted, unpacked, and just about as clean as I can get it.  As I said before, the paint is Behr's Ice Folly, a nice, light blue.

Before (previous tenant)
After!  
Before (with icky cream-sicle paint)...

After! 
Lots of light!
Stove and fridge (and no, that's not your eyes - the fridge is horribly crooked)         
Things I have done thus far in this room:
 - Painted the walls, cabinet panels, and fake backsplash above the sink
 - Added wood cutting boards on the counters to hide the gross, stained laminate counter tops
 - CLEANED! This place was filthy when we moved in.
 - Not to mention, organized EVERYTHING and fit EVERYTHING (read: a lot of stuff) into the cabinets and other storage in a neat and orderly fashion

Projects on the To Do List:
 - Get the cabinets to close.  This will involve sanding some areas and probably adding magnetic closures to others.  I think the hinges are either mostly broken or are so thickly layered with old paint that they just pop right back open once they are closed.
 - Remove and paint the cabinet pulls.  I don't know if you can tell from the photos, but they are tarnished brass with lots of splatters of old paint and goodness knows what else. I plan to paint these with a black semi-gloss lacquer.
 - Replace the filthy mini-blinds. Landlord offered to pay for new window treatments, too, as long as they will stay in the place and "look nice."
- CLEAN THE WINDOWS!  They need it badly!  Landlord is a good guy, but I will never get over him saying, "I didn't do anything to clean the windows since they get dirty again so quickly."  Same thing happens to my hair, buddy, but I wash it every day just the same!
 - Level the fridge.
 - Paint the toe-kicks on the cabinets.  They are currently wood, and it looks like maybe there was some adhesive rubber there at one time.  At this point, they just look dirty.
 - Replace the light fixtures.  The landlord has agreed to pay for them and install them, I just need to buy them.  I'm thinking of some sort of cool pendant light for above the sink.  He wants to put in a ceiling fan in the center of the room, which I am all for (we do not have air conditioning).
 - Install a shelf/pot rack thing above the stove. This will be used to hang my All-Clad utensils and hold a canister with spatulas, wooden spoons, etc.
- Hang art!  I have a great little painting for above the sink, and a few others that need homes.

I'd say, not bad for only being here one week!  I will add more pictures as I complete the little projects (and as I recruit Joe to help with some of the more manly ones, haha). There are more rooms to come, with more completed projects and more To Do lists!

No comments:

Post a Comment