Friday, November 12, 2010

Lighting inspiration

I found what I want for my hallway lighting situation.  OOOOOh I'm inspired. 

I've been thinking about how to add some flair to my light fixtures (thanks for the idea, Andrea). I needed something that would be inexpensive and that I could take with me when we leave the apartment.  I found this post from younghouselove, where they used a boring boob-light to create a custom drum pendant.

They converted this...

http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/06/office-progress-let-there-be-light/


Into this... 

http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/06/office-progress-let-there-be-light/

This was done using a large drum shade.

Kind of like this one, which would go nicely with my decor...

http://www.shadesoflight.com/carnival-wonderland-lamp-shade-2-colors.html    
Alas, the $125 price tag might be a bit steep. I think I'm on the right track, though, since I found some boob lights for 2 for $10 at Menards last week, and the landlord will be installing them next week (and since they'll stay when we leave, I included the receipt with the rent check, so this part was free for me!).  I'll keep looking for a more affordable version of the above lampshade, then use the hardware of the boob light to customize a fun light fixture to jazz up the hallway.

3 comments:

  1. I love this lighting! I looked on lightinguniverse.com and bellacor.com for cheaper fixtures that were similar, but no chance. That's pretty affordable for such a cool fixture. Either way, something will make a difference. And free is always nice. : )

    Your place is sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking, Andrea! I'm sort of debating purchasing a plain drum shade and affixing some cool fabric to it. We'll see. I may eventually bite the bullet and get the one I want, though...

    ReplyDelete