Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sunday soup: Pumpkin Soup with Toasted Walnuts

It's fall here in the midwest!  It's been a couple of years since we've been a part of this amazing season (since Los Angeles seems to have only two seasons: June Gloom, and everything else).  We experienced the contrast first hand this weekend, with Joe heading to Los Angeles for the Reaching Out MBA Conference, and myself making the trip to central Michigan.  I met up with the Hagen parents for the weekend at the Hunting and Fishing Club where they are members (i.e. one of the most beautiful, serene places I've been).  The fall colors were at their peak, and let me tell ya, it was stunning.  Those flaming trees had me inspired for the evening's soup.

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a little Pie Pumpkin at the Dane County Farmer's Market.  It was a cute little guy, a little bigger than a grapefruit.  I played with the recipe a bit, and I will say, I made a couple of mistakes this week.

Pumpkin Soup with Toasted Walnuts

One small Pie Pumpkin
1 1/2 c. chopped leeks
6 c. chicken stock (I used about 4 c. of stock and 2 c. of water, partly to save $$ and partly to keep the sodium content down, since I did not have low-sodium stock on hand)
2 tsp. dried rosemary (I used ground sage, since that's what I had.  This was a mistake.  The flavor was fine, but it really took the color down a couple of notches...)
2 tsp. kosher salt (taste and add little by little so as not to oversalt!)
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 c. creme fraiche (I actually used greek style yogurt, but I think it was a little too tart)
1/3 c. walnuts, chopped and toasted
6 fresh rosemary sprigs (I omitted these, didn't have 'em.  They would have been good, though!)

Preheat the oven to 400 F.  Rinse and dry the pumpkin, cut it in half and remove the seeds/muck.  Quarter it, then slice into 3-4 in pieces.  Arrange them in a baking pan, cut side down.  Add water such that it comes about 1/4 in up the sides of the pan.  Cover tightly with foil.  Bake for 45-50 min, until they are fork tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

When the pumpkin is cool enough to handle, carefully remove the skin with a sharp paring knife.  I realized I needed to be careful and only cut off the peel, since my pumpkin was pretty small.  Cut the pieces into 1 in. pieces.  If you've got more than, say, 8 cups, reserve the extra for another project (pie? bread?).

Melt butter in a large, heavy, lidded pot.  Add leeks and cook, stirring, until they become translucent and soft.  Add the pumpkin cubes, stock, salt, herbs and spices.  Stir to combine, bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. 

Puree the soup in batches in a food processor or blender (or an immersion blender if you are so blessed).  Whisk in about 3/4 of the creme fraiche.  Taste and season as needed.

To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with a dollop of creme fraiche, rosemary, and chopped walnuts (these are key - they add texture and a nice flavor, yum!)

Serve with some crusty bread, or in tonight's case, some onion pan bread... that recipe is a'comin!

No comments:

Post a Comment