Sunday, September 19, 2010

Potato Leek soup and a nasty cold...

After starting a new job where a nasty throat bug was going around,  I naturally developed the bug myself. So today, instead of going to a picnic and show at an outdoor amphitheater with the business school as planned, I am at home, making a pot of Potato Leek Soup.


I developed the recipe loosely based on one from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.  This basically doubles his recipe size and I added some ingredients to make it more interesting.

Potato Leek Soup

6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
6 leeks, carefully rinsed and chopped (use only the white and light green portions)
4 slices bacon, chopped
salt and pepper
a few sprigs of fresh or dried thyme
8 cups chicken stock

- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, cook the bacon until very crispy.  Remove the bacon and place on a paper towel to drain. Leave the fat in the pan.
- Saute the leeks until they begin to caramelize.  Add the thyme leaves.
- Add the potatoes and cook for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the stock. Adjust the temperature so that the liquid gently bubbles.  Stir occasionally until the potatoes are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender, working in batches.  Be sure to put the lid on tightly!  Puree the soup.  I left a few chunks of potato intact.  Gives it a little texture and leaves a little rusticity.
- Top with crumbled bacon, and whatever else inspires you.  We got a bottle of black truffle infused oil, so I'll be dribbling a bit of this on top when I serve it.  Other ideas are parmesan cheese, croutons, chives, etc. Serve with crusty bread.

2 comments:

  1. mmm, yum. Looks delicious. I always love new soup recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carrie! I'm going to be trying to do a different soup recipe each Sunday, and post about it. I'd love your input!

    ReplyDelete